Overview – Outline of American Literature Index
As a context resource for the American Literature study guide (English 3 from the Excellence in Literature curriculum) we offer these chapters from the Outline of American Literature, a public-domain American Literature textbook published by the U. S. State Department.
Outline of American Literature Index
by Katheryn VanSpanckeren
- Chapter 2: Democratic Origins and Revolutionary Writers, 1776-1820
- Chapter 4A: The Romantic Period, 1820-1860: Essayists and Poets
- Chapter 4B: The Romantic Period, 1820-1860: Fiction
- Chapter 5: The Rise of Realism: 1860-1914
- Chapter 6: Modernism and Experimentation: 1914-1945
Kathryn VanSpanckeren, professor of English at the University of Tampa, has lectured in American literature widely abroad, and is former director of the Fulbright-sponsored Summer Institute in American Literature for international scholars. Her publications include poetry and scholarship. She received her Bachelor’s degree from the University of California, Berkeley, and her Ph.D. from Harvard University.
You can read more chapters and explore further at the official website for Outline of American Literature.